check yourself - see if you don't remember the Haight in the 60s
questions 1 - 20 - value one point each
What street matched up with these sites during the psychedelic era?
1. The Great Highway was located on ____
2. The Shangra-la was located on ___ Street
3. Big Brother and the Holding Company lived at ___ and ___
4. Jefferson Airplane lived on ___ Street
5. The Magic Theatre for Madmen Only located on ___ Street
6. The Both/and located on ___ Street
7. The Print Mint located on ____ Street
8. Entrance to Golden Gate Park is at Haight and ___
9. Straight Theatre at Haight and ___
10. Drug Store Cafe at Haight and ___
V I P
Who and what did the following VIPs match up with during the psychedelic era?
11. Peter Albin played bass guitar for what psychedelic rock group?
12. The Rolling Stones hit 'Ruby Tuesday' is on one of their earliest albums - which one?
13. Neal Cassady's favourite rhythm and blues singer was ___?
14. Who is the great psychedelic poster artist who was also a famous surfer?
15. The Beatles created a collage of how many VIP images for the cover of their Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band masterpiece?
16. Bob Dylan frequently performed with which Civil Rights singer during the early 60s?
17. The I and Thou Cafe was dedicated to what well known author?
18. The only palmist in the Haight-Ashbury, who read for tourists and locals, could be found in what well known establishment?
19. The oldest metaphysical shop in San Francisco offered Tarot lessons by what well known scholar?
20. The Diggers regularly provided free meals to the homeless in what part Golden Gate Park?
These questions are worth two points and help bring the score up
21. Gabriel’s Spaghetti Feed was a regular event in the Haight Ashbury. What two well known dancers were arrested there one night during dinner, by an overly zealous police force?
22. One of the first, if not the first, popular clubs to feature a light show with the entertainment was ___.
23. Popular psychedelic bands finally joined together and opened their own dance hall, named ___.
24. The most reliable health food guides on the West Coast included Back to Eden, Macrobiotics, and several books by what woman who campaigned on the lecture circuit against non-nutritional white bread?
28 – 23 Very hip
Pick out your best love beads and treat yourself to a night of great music at a local club
with good friends
22 – 17 Smooth operator
Call a couple of friends, take in a stretch of scenic road and talk over good times
16 - 11 Meditate
Still and center yourself - quality time in Mother Nature's garden can help a lot
10 or less get TLC
Join a positive networking group, take up new hobby; try a walk or run around Golden Gate Park to jog the memory
1) Highway 1; 2) Haight; 3) Page & Broderick Sts.; 4) Fulton Street; 5) Divisadero; 6) Divisadero; 7) Haight Street; 8) Stanyon; 9) Cole; 10) Masonic; 11) Big Brother and the Holding Company; 12) Between the Buttons; 13) James Brown; 14) Rick Griffin; 15) 100; 16) Joan Baez; 17) Martin Buber; 18) I and Thou Café; 19) Robert Hand; 20) The Panhandle; 21) good will tour representatives for Russian Ballet Company, Fonteyn and Nureyev; 22) The Matrix; 23) The Carousel Ballroom; 24) Adele Davis